Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Two Feet Low & Rising, Sixteen Stories High & Dropping


It is a snow day for much of Missouri.  Outside the window in front of me countless swirling snowflakes ride a strong east wind to the ground as leafless tree branches wave frantically in the background.  My tractor and snow blade stand ready to clear our driveway just as soon as I motivate myself to tackle the frigid task.  Our pond is up to only two feet down as a result of recent rainfall.   This snowfall will raise the level even more.  I am thankful for moisture in any form, though it is grudging thanks if the moisture is in the form of branch-snapping, power line-breaking freezing rain.  So far it has all been snow or sleet, occasionally punctuated with eye-widening flashes of lightning and rolling thunder.  Our lights have flickered but not faltered. 

I have been scanning the long-range forecasts for any sign of spring.  The high temperature for the next 10 days (through March 2) does not reach 50 degrees.  Branson's Silver Dollar City re-opens on March 15.  This week I entered a contest to be in the first group of riders on their new Outlaw Run roller coaster.  It is billed as "The World's MOST DARING Wood Coaster".  It features a 162 foot drop at an 81 degree angle, the steepest drop in the world for a wooden roller coaster.  It is also the only wooden roller coaster in the world to twist upside down (a record-breaking 3 inversions).  If I win (slightly higher odds than me being named the next Defense Secretary on President Obama's cabinet), I get TWO seats.  One for me and one for my wife.  Since my wife very nearly puked on Silver Dollar City's kid-friendly Barn Swing, in the unlikely event I win I may need a volunteer co-rider.  Blog readers get first shot.  Let me know if you would like a chance at this historic event.  Here is a link to the ride:  Outlaw Run
But now, a thrill ride of a different type.  I am going to go plow the snow off my driveway.  It features 1500 feet of snow-covered gravel on rolling hills, including a 450-foot stretch across the dam to our pond, while wearing glasses that have usually frosted over.  I have previously, while clearing a 20-inch snowfall, (unintentionally) ridden my tractor 150 feet down the dam at a 45 degree angle.  Not Outlaw Run standards, but pretty thrilling just the same.  Luckily, that was on the dry side.  It is the 12 foot drop on the water side that concerns me most.  Not for me - for my tractor.
I am optimistic that snow and ice will be a distant memory in 3 weeks and that March 15 will be a pleasant day.  Seems unlikely at this moment, but then Missouri residents know all too well the wisdom in the following poem by Lilja Rogers:
First a howling blizzard woke us,  Then the rain came down to soak us,  And now before the eye can focus,  Crocus! 
              Above -Outlaw Run - thrill ride I hope to ride on March 15.  Below
              Thrill ride I will definitely be riding on February 21.
 


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment