Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 21, 2014

The Name Doesn't Ring a Bell

Note:  This blog was originally published August 23, 2010

After my recent high school "Class of '66" reunion, I received an email. In it, it said that my favorite teacher in high school, now age 86, had recently moved to Tennessee to live with her daughter's family. The email also said her daughter felt she would enjoy phone calls from her former students.

Though I had several teachers in high school who made a lasting impression on me (some good, some not), Mrs. Bell was always my favorite. In my yearbook she wrote:

Dear Doug,

In all my career I've never had a student like you! (Note: I chose to take that in a positive way). Beyond comparison you can temporize longer than a senator! You've cheered the 4th hour class many times & I'm sure they're grateful for your contributions. May you achieve your goals and aims in life along with happiness.

Semper Magistra Latina tua, (Your Latin Teacher always,)

Rebecca Bell

On Saturday I gave Mrs. Bell a call.

(ring, ring, ring)

Mrs. Bell: Hello?

Me: Mrs. Bell?

Mrs. Bell: Yes

Me: Mrs Bell, this is Doug Reece . . . one of your Latin students from the class of '66!

Mrs. Bell: Why, hello!

Me: How are you?

Mrs. Bell: Well, I'm OK. But my daughter and I are bickering a little. (Note: When my mother-in-law moved in with us, she & and her daughter (my wife) bickered a LOT, so I know how that goes).

Me: Mrs. Bell, I just wanted to call you and let you know what a great influence you have had on my life and how much what you taught me in Latin class helped me improve my vocabulary. Of all my teachers, you were my favorite and I just wanted to let you know.

Mrs. Bell: (pause) Excuse me . . . who is this?

Me:  Doug Reece!   I was in the class of '66 at Hillcrest. I took Latin two years and was vice-president of the Latin Club.

Mrs. Bell: Well, you will have to forgive me. I'm afraid my memory just isn't what it used to be.

(background) Mom, it's time for lunch!

Me: That's OK. It is really good to talk to you and thanks again for all you did for me! Goodbye.

Hummmm. I really thought she would remember me. Maybe her brain has repressed the memory of me after she saw me in a toga at the 1966 Latin banquet.

More likely, after hundreds, probably thousands, of students, a person's brain just can't keep up. Sometimes the things I forget scare me, and I'm a generation and then some behind Mrs. Bell.

I hope my call cheered her day. I think having someone I don't even remember call me up and tell me what a great influence I've had on their life would certainly be a day brightener for me.

Thanks again, Mrs. Bell.

You may not remember me, but I will never forget you.

email: aboomer@embarqmail.com

REBECCA BELL 10-12-1924 - 2-19-2014
 
Requiescat In Pace

Rebecca (Becky) Rosanna Bell of Springfield, MO died February 19, 2014 at Barton House in Nashville, TN, after a long struggle with Alzheimer’s.

Hillcrest High School Remembrance Page's photo.She was born October 12, 1924, in Humansville, MO. She was preceded in death by her loving husband, Eugene Bell, and her parents, Louis and Claudia Grass.

Hillcrest High School Remembrance Page's photo.She is survived by her daughter, Glenda (Bill) Newton, Nashville; son, Barry (Barbara) Bell, St. Louis; grandchildren, Amy (Joe) Berra; Allison (Brian) Abrahams; Lauren Lowe; Harrison Lowe, and great grandson, Ashton Lowe.

She attended Humansville High School where she graduated as valedictorian. She attended Missouri State, where she majored in Latin and English. She graduated magna cum laude in 1945.

Becky began her teaching career at Republic and Willard high schools. She then taught at Missouri State for fifteen years. She earned her Master’s Degree in Education from the University of Missouri.

She married Eugene Bell in 1949. Together, they formed a home improvement company, Bell Air Co., and started their family. Becky and Eugene enjoyed many adventures together, including annual travels across the country as devoted members of the Model T Ford Club. In 1997, they were the recipients of the Rosenthal Award in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the promotion of the Club.

In 1963, Becky joined the faculty at Hillcrest High School. Becky gained many honors during her teaching career, including being named favorite teacher by several of the graduating classes and having the Rebecca Bell Foreign Language Scholarship named in her honor.

In 1973, Freedoms Foundation in Valley Forge, PA, conferred upon her the Valley Forge Teachers Medal for her notable contribution to youth. In 1985, Drury College bestowed upon her its Community Service award and she also was first runner-up for the state of Missouri’s Teacher of the Year. In 2003, she was inducted into the Hall of Fame at Humansville High School.

As a freelance writer, she frequently had profiles published in Springfield! Magazine. She contributed articles to The Vintage Ford, the national publication of the Model T Ford Club of America. Becky had been a very active member of Central Christian Church since 1964, serving in many positions of leadership. Her love of the Church, coupled with her stellar teaching abilities, made her one of the most revered Sunday school teachers for almost twenty-five years.

Becky changed and inspired the lives of many of her students. She surpassed many challenges to become a celebrated teacher and leader. Her selflessness and love of teaching permeated every part of her life, as a wife, mother, grandmother, mentor, and friend.

A memorial service will be held at a future date in Springfield, Missouri.

In lieu of flowers, contributions can be sent to the Rebecca Bell Foreign Language Scholarship Fund, Hillcrest High School, Attn Brenda Stone, 3319 N. Grant, Springfield, MO 65803.

The family would like to thank Ann Moyers, Barton House, Mary Boyd/Genteeva Hospice, Central Christian Church and Jim O'Dowd as well as all the friends who have supported us during this difficult time.

 
.









 






 


     
     
     

      1 comment:

      1. While I appreciate your fond memories of this wonderful lady, I think you should give the content of your blog piece a little consideration and perhaps revision. Please note that her obituary that you linked to, clearly states that she died after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease. It would be more respectful if you stuck to memories in your post which recall Mrs. Bell's wit, intellect or other wonderful traits rather than one which highlights the horrific disease Mrs. Bell endured.

        ReplyDelete