Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 26, 2017

What I Did On My Summer Vacation – Day 1 - Delays, Detours and Mechanical Breakdowns

Sleep usually comes hard the night before we leave on vacation and this year was no exception.  High winds and lightning put on a celestial sound and light show outside our home, but other than our trash can being upended and our newspaper being blown across the road we escaped unscathed.

This year’s vacation involves 2 cars and 7 people.  My son and his family will be accompanying my wife and me to Orlando to go to Disney World.  For 3 kids, ages 2, 6 & 9, it will be an endless stream of delights.  For two geezer grandparents, the delight will primarily come in watching the grandkids enjoy Disney World's endless stream of delights, which makes it well worth it.

Typically, when we head east, my wife and I are usually in St. Louis by 8 am.  This trip, Moleia, the mole dog, will be boarding at the Vet, whose office doesn’t open until 7:30.  Oh, well.  We will miss the St. Louis rush hour. 
 
My wife and I headed to town to grab some coffee and run a couple of last minute errands until the dog was safely in her temporary new quarters.  At 7:20 my phone rang.  Slight delay – the Vet’s office does not open until 8:30 on Thursdays.

At 9 am, 3 hours later than normal, we departed Jefferson City.  

A few minutes before we stopped for lunch at a Subway west of Marion, Il., a red light appeared on the dash of my son’s car.  Electrical problem.  Google directed us to the nearest Honda dealer.  When we arrived, cars were lined up awaiting service. 

“I’ll do my best, but I’m not sure if I can even look at it today” said the Service Rep.  “And then I may have to order a part”.  Mentally, we began assessing our options.

Option 1 – Spend the night in Marion and let the kids swim at a motel while the car was being repaired.  On to TripAdvisor.com I went to search for deals.  What I saw astounded me.  Drury Inn - $175 per night.  Holiday Inn Express - $199 per night. Hampton Inn - $169 per night.

We Lost An Alternator and a Tooth in
Marion, Illinois
“Wow” I said to Dan, the Honda Salesman.  “Motel rooms are high around here.  Is something going on?”

“Are you kidding me?”  he replied.  “Nothing ever goes on in Marion.  Oh – wait.  There is a Toby Keith concert tomorrow!”

Option 1 – out.

Option 2 – Trade cars.  My son and his wife had been considering it anyway.  While the negotiations began, my wife and I found a park and took the kids to play.   While there, Gavin lost a tooth that had been loose for a while.  After 30 minutes, my son called.  The negotiations were at a stalemate. 

Option 3 – Rent a car. 

Bingo.

At 4 pm, we transferred everything from my son’s car to the rental car and left my son’s car in Marion to be repaired.

We were 4 hours behind schedule.  Eastbound and down.  Traveler’s tip – Nashville traffic is not too bad after 7 pm on a week night.  Then, another warning!  Google maps warned of an unspecified delay ahead on I-24.  We stopped for dinner, hoping it would clear.

It didn’t.  It got worse.  When we finished dinner, I-24 was completely shut down.  At Shelbyville, Tn., Google maps directed us south into the darkness of the hills, hollers and narrow two-lane roads of rural Tennessee on a 26-mile detour.  In the back seat I heard my six-year-old granddaughter whisper to her nine-year-old brother “We’re gonna die!”  “Well” I responded.  “At least you’ve had six good years!”  “I’ve had nine good years!” chipped in her brother.

One white-knuckle hour after leaving I-24, our detour reunited us with I-24.

After checking into our hotel at Manchester, Tn., a bulletin popped onto my phone that explained the reason for our detour.  Two escaped Georgia prisoners who had murdered two prison guards had been captured by rural homeowner Patrick Hale of Christiana, Tn., just south of I-24.  When warned the fugitives were in the area, Mr. Hale later told police “I loaded every weapon in my house.”  Then, when he actually saw the fugitives emerge from the woods 300 yards from his home, he grabbed his wife and little girl and got in his car to get away.  Something strange happened next.  The escaped prisoners took off their shirts, waved them in the air, and then laid face-down in the Hale driveway with their hands behind their heads.  Per Mr. Hale, “My vehicle looks like a police cruiser.  I realized I had two ex-cons wanted for murder who had just shot at law enforcement who had nothing to lose and for some reason they surrendered and laid down on the concrete in my driveway.  If that doesn’t make you believe in Jesus Christ, I don’t know what does!”


I felt pretty much the same way when we safely pulled up to the front door of our motel after a day of delays, detours, mechanical breakdowns - and captured murderers.

No comments:

Post a Comment