Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My New Walking Companion


Jack Drops By to Say "Hi"
I made a friend recently during my daily 3-mile walk.  At first I was startled when he popped out of a driveway unexpectedly, a big, somewhat ferocious-looking dog.  Then his tail started to wag and I discovered something we had in common - a love of walking.

His name is Jack,  a large brown and white dog with the head of a pitbull and the heart of a bunny.  Jack now frequently accompanies me on my walks.  That's when I discovered something else we have in common - we both enjoy seeing squirrels flee in terror. 

On Saturday he dropped by to help me bbq some burgers and hot dogs, patiently and unassumingly waiting nearby should a piece of meat come his way.  When I handed him a hot dog he politely and gently took it from my hand and laid down in the grass nearby to enjoy his good fortune.

When my grandkids arrived he greeted them at the car, his face bore an unmistakable dog-smile while his whole body wagged hello.  "Why does he have such big teeth?" asked my 4-year-old grandson cautiously.  I'd be cautious, too, if I was looking eye-to-eye with a dog, but a love of kids was another thing I shared with Jack. 

Josh Billings once observed that "a dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself."  Will Rogers said "I love a dog.  He does nothing for political reasons."  Will also said that if there are no dogs in heaven, he wanted to go where they go when he died.

If you have a couple of minutes, I think you will enjoy this song by Wendy J. Francisco.  She calls it GoD and DoG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17edn_RZoY 









1 comment:

  1. Good story. Any dog story is always welcome here!
    (book's in the mail; thanks!)

    ReplyDelete