Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Bit of Heaven Beneath a Sport Bra

A warm October wind scattered leaves across the Hy-Vee parking lot as I walked briskly in search of caffeine this morning. I slowed as I neared the automatic doors to let a twenty-something female enter ahead of me. I was immediately reminded what an amazing material spandex is as I followed her through the door and into the line at Starbucks.

As I glanced over her shoulder to see what type of coffee was brewing, I made an intriguing discovery. (Note: I am a firm believer that Yogi Berra was right when he said “You can observe a lot just by watching.“) Tattooed between her shoulders was "Proverbs 2?: 5-6. It wasn't actually 2?. Part of the tattoo was obscured by the “X” of her sport bra strap. As I waited for the first person first in line to finish her very detailed instructions of exactly what she wanted in her “skinny latte”, two questions crossed my mind:

1. Isn’t “skinny latte” an oxymoron? and

2. I wonder what scripture was important enough for this woman to have it tattooed on her back?

Finally my curiosity got the better of me. “Excuse me, I was just wondering what verse in Proverbs you have tattooed on your back.” Smiling, she moved her bra strap to one side so I could see: Proverbs 27: 5-6.

“Faithful are the wounds of a friend. Bitter are the kisses of an enemy” she quoted. An unusual but insightful tattoo choice. I was hoping she might share the story that motivated her to have it tattooed on her back-side, but just then she got her order. With a beverage in each hand she turned, smiled, and left the building.

I am a fan of the book of Proverbs. Even more so now. Divided into 31 chapters, it’s possible to easily glean some nuggets of wisdom by reading one chapter each morning while drinking a skinny latte or whatever else kick starts your brain.

Some of my favorite verses from the book of Proverbs are:

26:17 - Getting involved in an argument that is none of your business is like going down the street and grabbing a dog by the ears.

26:20 - Without wood, a fire goes out; without gossip, quarreling stops.

4:23 - Be careful how you think. Your life is shaped by your thoughts.

11:25 - Be generous and you will be prosperous. Help others and you will be helped.

But if I was going to choose one verse to have tattooed on my backside, it would be Proverbs 14:4:

“An empty stable stays clean, but much increase comes by the strength of an ox.” (Loose interpretation according to me: You can accomplish more if you are willing to deal with a lot of BS. Or OS.) I have found that bit of wisdom especially pertinent in my life.

Proverbs 4:7 in the Good News Bible says “Getting wisdom is the most important thing you can do.”

Even if it’s partially concealed under a bra strap.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment