Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Nick in Knightland - The View From Across the Pond - Day 3

Nick Racker's reporting live from the Olympics.  August 6, 2012, 5:21 PM

Olympic Basketball Arena


 Walk a mile in my shoes...or, as in my case, I have no idea how many miles! I wish I had a pedometer so I could figure out how many miles I have walked.  London has done a fabulous job hosting these games. They have kept everyone moving.  Even when the view ahead is packed with people,  very rarely does one actually stop and wait in line.   Only at the Olympic Park McDonald's was there a line standing nearly still. And this massive store somehow delivers with speed and accuracy. It maybe took twenty minutes to get through the line.  I ordered a Chicken Legend with Spicy Tomato Salsa. I'm ashamed to say I've eaten McD's twice here, but at least I ordered something I couldn't get back home.

I say London has done a bang-up job!   I've only been duped twice where I felt a little slighted by the organizing committee. The first was before I left and I learned that the cauldron would be kept inside the main stadium and would only be seen by those with athletics tickets. The second was when they told me last night in Olympic Park that the West Ham exit was the fastest way out. I'm sure it was because once we made it to the platform we were able to catch a direct train straight to London city. What I didn't know was that it took a 45 minute walk to get there.

To keep us from getting disgruntled, volunteers or "games makers" as London 2012 calls them, were stationed in life guard chairs keeping up our spirits. One such volunteer called out from a bullhorn "how many of you are coming back tomorrow?" and hands went up. The volunteer then jokingly said in a classic British accent "Oh NO". The volunteers also have giant foam fingers to point the way. They call out the country if you're displaying your colors.  I got a shout out for USA a couple times.

The queue at the escalators was particularly full and the staircase was not. One volunteer shouted to "take the team GB staircase" and people bolted up.  "Keep moving thank you, keep moving...keep smiling" shouted another.  Michael Jackson music was played at another spot.  These encounters with the games makers are brief but they always have the answer to your question.  This morning, as we entered Olympic Park for the last time, I high-five'd as many foam fingers as I could.

They are the most enthusiastic bunch and they do it all for free, all for the games. They will get a thank you at the closing ceremony...Seb Coe, leader of LOCOG will receive the Olympic Order for his efforts, but I'd give a medal to those volunteers too!


Inside Aquatic Center for 3m diving finals where China took Gold AND Silver

Main Olympic Arena

The Orbit, pictured above in both day and night, is the UK's tallest art structure at 377 feet.  It towers over the Olympic Park.  An observation tower at the top offers stunning views of the park and all of London

No comments:

Post a Comment