Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 6, 2017

What I Did On My Summer Vacation – Day 10 – An Early Wake-up Call


The alarm was set for 6 am.  The plan was to be loaded up, coffee in hand, and on the road out of Orlando by 7 am.  You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men?  They often go awry.

At 5:44 am my phone rang. 

Me: (sleepily) Hello?

Caller:  My name is Marcy.  I’m calling from your security company.  At 5:22 am, two motion detectors were activated in your son’s home.  We’ve been unable to reach him or his wife and you are third on the list to call.  We’ve notified law enforcement and they are on their way.

Me: (suddenly wide awake) My son and his wife are with us.  I will let him know.  Thank you very much!

Putting on some shorts and a t-shirt I went through the living room, past my sleeping grandkids on the fold-out bed, and knocked on the other bedroom door.  My daughter-in-law opened it.  My son had gotten the voice message from the alarm company and was hastily signing onto his computer to look inside their house via the security camera.  “Uh Oh” he said.  “The door to the patio is open.”

My daughter-in-law had already called her dad and he was en route to their house.  He had checked out their home 12 hours earlier, accompanied by one of his young granddaughters, and everything had been fine.  From the external security camera, we could see the deputies drawing their guns and preparing to enter the home.  Then my son rewound the security footage to see if he could identify whomever entered the home.  Back he went to the previous evening when his father-in-law had set the alarm after feeding the cat and checking the premises.  That’s when he noticed something strange.  The back door was standing wide open when his father-in-law set the alarm and left the home the previous evening.  Mystery solved.  No intruders were involved, except friendly ones.  Either his father-in-law or the toddler granddaughter he brought with him had left the door open.  At 5:22 am, the cat must have decided “Hey, if they aren’t going to live in here anymore, then I believe I will” and entered the premises, setting off multiple motion detectors and an ear-piercing alarm, whereupon she decided maybe outside wasn’t so bad after all.

My daughter-in-law called the security company and informed them her dad was on his way to the address, but apparently that info did not make it to the investigating officers.  As soon as he arrived on the scene, he was treated as a suspect and questioned by the officers.  In fairness to the officers, he shouldn’t have been treated as a suspect.  OFFICERS, WE HAVE VIDEO EVIDENCE EITHER HE OR HIS YOUNG ACCOMPLICE DID IT!

Left the door open, that is.  Nothing was missing.  Nothing had been disturbed (if you don’t count my sleep).

Good thing we live in a pretty safe country neighborhood.  One time when my wife and I came home from a trip one night early, two cars were blocking our driveway before we even had the car unloaded in the garage.  Neighbors had seen car lights headed down our long driveway, knew we were out-of-town, and took action.

The rest of Day 10 was easy compared to the first 30 minutes.  We were headed out of town, coffee in hand, shortly after 7 am.  My wife was still in pain from her strained knee and surgically repaired foot.  She took a pain pill and then added nausea to her list of woes. 

Crews Repairing I-85 in Atlanta
We encountered the remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy near Macon, but the traffic was fairly light through normally nightmarish Atlanta.  Kudo’s to the Georgia Dept. of Transportation.  A massive, intentionally-set fire in March had collapsed a bridge, closed I-85 in both directions, and created a monstrous commuter problem.  It was originally hoped the highway could be reopened by June 15, the very day we were to leave home for Florida.  In fact, the highway was opened a month early on May 15.   Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I will never cuss your cones again.

After a long day on the road, we pulled into a Marriott Fairfield Inn in Clarksville, Tennessee, a mere 6 hours from home.  Anybody remember the Monkees’ song “Last Train to Clarksville?”  I do.  I was taking Basic Training at Fort Benning, Ga. when it was popular.  One morning, a fellow soldier who I will describe as "large" and “not a morning person”, told me if I didn’t shut my mouth and quit singing “Last Train to Clarksville” when he was trying to wake up, he would take it upon himself to shut it for me.  Ah, nothing like recalling those good old Basic Training memories.  Here is a clip of the Monkees singing the song that nearly got me killed: 

One more night.






No comments:

Post a Comment