Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 2, 2017

What I Did On My Summer Vacation - Day 6 – The Reece’s (minus 1) Do Disney

Pretty in Pink Sunrise on
Magic Kingdom Day
The Day 6 sunrise was pretty in pink but the forecast was for a good chance of rain as we drove the 12 miles from our hotel to the Magic Kingdom.   After parking in Section 113 of the Simba parking lot, (same zip code as the Magic Kingdom!) we boarded a tram that delivered us, not to the Magic Kingdom itself, but to the next mode of transportation on our journey to the Magic Kingdom – a ferry boat.  After the ferry boat ride it was only a short walk to the entrance of the self-proclaimed “happiest place on earth!” 

But before gaining admittance to the “Happiest Place on Earth”, one must navigate the metal detector.  “No problem” I thought, erroneously, as it turned out.  With a forecast of 90+ degrees, I was clad only in a t-shirt, shorts and hiking shoes.  I still managed to set the metal detector off.  So I became acquainted with “Mr. Wand”.  Luckily, I didn’t have to make the acquaintance of Mr. Pat Down.  Maybe it was my glasses, my belt buckle, the screw in my ankle or the shrapnel in my arm from an unfortunate wood splitting incident, but the machines they were a’beeping.  The memories had already begun and I wasn’t even in the Park yet.

Finally, after every bulge on my body was investigated thoroughly and I was deemed harmless, I was granted admission to the Magic Kingdom to the sympathetic glances of fellow visitors.  Disneyland opened on July 17, 1955.  I finally got to go on April 23, 1978 and have been to both Disneyland and Disney World several times since, but it is still a thrill to walk down Main Street, the impressive silhouette of the iconic Castle in view in the distance.

Brooklyn Takes the Wheel at the
Tomorrowland Speedway
My son had already scheduled our three “fast pass” rides where we got to go directly to the front of the line while enduring the scowls of the people who already been standing in line for an hour.  Everybody gets 3 “Fast Pass” rides, but not everybody knows how to use them (me).  In that case, I suggest they bring a kid or a grandkid along to schedule them like I did.

Our first ride was the Barnstormer, a real grown-up roller coaster.  My Barnstorming companion was my 2-year-old grandson, Max, who had never been on a real grown-up roller coaster before.  I was a little nervous about how he might react.  As we waited, a couple with green hair, a British accent, and metal rings protruding from most visible parts of their bodies (and, I suspect, many parts of their bodies that were not visible) waited in line in front of us.  "Probably walked right on through the metal detector", I thought to myself.  Max, who can be adventurous or cautious depending on his mood, took the Barnstormer in stride.  He probably figured if grandpa could ride it, how dangerous could it be?

With the precision of a military operation, we checked the rides off our list, deferring those with an hour+ wait time and no fast pass until our next trip.  We made it to:

Barnstormers
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
Max Takes a Break 
It’s a Small World
Haunted Mansion
Peter Pan’s Flight
Pirates of the Caribbean
The People Movers
Swiss Family Treehouse
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Tomorrowland Speedway
Walt Disney World Railroad

Taking a break from the rides, we stopped for a hot dog lunch at Disney’s baseball themed restaurant, Casey’s.  I remembered it because a dozen years ago I spent $35 for 4 hot dogs, fries and drinks.  Boy, were those the days.  This year it was $45 for 3 hot dogs (one was foot long for the kids to split), 3 fries and drinks.  If you want to go someplace that makes it seem like the prices at Silver Dollar City are cheap, Disney World is the place, starting with $20 for parking.

At one point during the day I found a shady spot to watch Max who was asleep in his stroller.  Up walked some women wearing t-shirts that read “STUCKENSCHNEIDER GIRLS DO DISNEY”.
"Are you from Jefferson City, Mo".? I asked.  "Our family used to be", one said.  I thought so.  Only in Jefferson City have I encountered Stuckenschneider’s.

Gavin gets in the spirit of the
Dancing in the Streets Parade
The normal highlight of my day at Disney is the Electric Parade near closing time.  Alas, the Electric Parade has been discontinued at Disney World.  It it’s place are several smaller, less impressive parades throughout the day.  I was disappointed.  But, the closing time fireworks and laser light show at the Castle are better than ever.  As we waited, Mother Nature threatened to add some fireworks of her own as a dark cloud moved behind the Castle.  Thankfully, it was a bluff, at least where we were.  Back at the Resort, my wife had tried to soak up a little vitamin D at the pool, only to retreat to the room when the skies opened.

After retracing the route to our car, I checked my walking mileage for the day on my phone.  8.1 miles.  Under the 10 miles promised by the rental company on the mobility scooter I had investigated for my wife.  But as the Fireworks show ended, it was hard for me to imagine my first time scooter rider wife navigating the wall-to-wall mass of people heading for the parking lot.

If she should end up needing a mobility scooter on a regular basis, I plan to take her to Walmart and let her do a few laps so she can hold her own.  If she can make it at Walmart, she can make it anywhere.

The first time we went to Disneyland, it was just my wife and me.  Then my wife and son and me.  Then my wife and son and his girlfriend and me.  And now my son, his wife, my 3 grandkids and me.

Boy.  

Tomorrowland got here a lot sooner than I expected.
Mother Nature threatened some fireworks of her
own prior to the fireworks & laser light show





No comments:

Post a Comment