Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 10, 2017

What I Did On My Summer Vacation - Day 11 - Ten Days on the Road and We're A'Gonna Make It Home Tonight (Hopefully)

After a restful night in Clarksville, Tennessee at the end of Day 10, we planned to spend the next night in our own beds, God willing and our son's family car willing.

The logistics were complicated somewhat by the fact that the rental car had to be dropped off at Enterprise Rental during their abbreviated Sunday hours of 10 am to 1 pm.  Since Marion is only a little over 2 hours from Clarksville and we left the hotel at 8 am, we figured that should be no problem.

There almost was.

As we got back on I-24 and entered Kentucky, we began to encounter a large number of pick-ups pulling gigantic horse trailers.  With us following our son and his family in their rental car, my wife and I held our breath as we watched a pick-up pulling a horse trailer start to move into my son's lane when he was already about half-way around.  Luckily, my son was alert enough and the shoulder was wide enough to allow my son to move off the road until the cowboy realized that lane was occupied and he jerked his truck back into the right lane.  We both breathed a sigh of relief.  Those 5 souls in that Chevy Traverse are the most important people in the world to us.  As we passed the truck, the cowboy was laughing.  My wife loves cowboys but she didn't love that cowboy.  And I imagine he got that idea from her glare as we went by.  If he's a real cowboy, he knows there are two theories about arguin' with an upset woman.  And neither one works!  To which I might add, if you aren't going to drive carefully for your own sake, at least do it for the horse's sake!"

Just for old time's sake, Google Maps took us on another detour en route to Ike Honda in Marion.  I THINK we avoided road construction by taking the detour, but I'll never know for sure.

Thank You For the Colorado Chevy,
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
At Ike Honda we transferred everything from the rental car to our son's family's car, old "less than" faithful with a new alternator.

30 minutes later the rental car had been returned, we'd had a pit stop, and we were back on the interstate.
Back to Old Faithful (up until this trip)


4 1/2 hours later we were home from a wonderful trip that had it's share of glitches but made up for it with MORE than it's share of wonderful memories.

Now we've just got to get grandma's wheels fixed before the next trip or, by golly, she's getting a mobility scooter.

With four-wheel drive.
You're Not Taking My Grandkids on Vacation Without Me!!
Note - Any resemblance between the woman in this picture
and my wife is purely coincidental.


 








No comments:

Post a Comment