Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Lunch at the Southside Cafe

I've got a couple of buddies I have lunch with every couple of months.  Their names are Steve, and my other buddy, Steve.  I met them today at the Southside Cafe, a relatively new place here in Jefferson City.  The Steve's are sports encyclopedia's.  Actually, now that I think about it, "encyclopedia" is outdated.  After 244 years, the Encyclopedia Britannica is no longer being published.  Now you have to go to Britannica.com.  Consider these guys "Sport's Wikipedia's".   They can recall minute details of basketball, baseball and football games from the 50's and 60's easier than I can remember what I had for breakfast.

After rehashing the current sports scene around Missouri, the subject changed to this blog. 

"Why don't you" asked my buddy Steve, "do a blog on the funniest movie lines of all time!"

"Yeah!" said my other buddy Steve.  "Remember Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" when the posse had Butch and Sundance trapped on a bluff overlooking the river and Sundance was scared to jump?"  I did remember that.  Very well, in fact.  In case you don't, here is the dialogue as Butch tries to convince Sundance to jump:
 
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid PosterButch Cassidy: Alright. I'll jump first.
Sundance Kid: No.
Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you!

That's one of my favorite movie quotes of all time.  Can it really be from 1969?  I didn't know her at the time, but my bride of 40 years graduated from High School in 1969.  Another classic scene from the movie pretty much sums up what I was looking for when I met my future wife:

Sundance Kid: Well, I think I'll get saddled up and go looking for a woman.
Butch Cassidy: Good hunting.
Sundance Kid: Shouldn't take more than a couple of days. I'm not picky. As long as she's smart, pretty, and sweet, and gentle, and tender, and refined, and lovely, and carefree...

These days she reminds me more of the woman who was irritated to be on a train being robbed by Butch & Sundance:

Woman: Start this train!
Sundance Kid: Get back inside there, lady. 
Woman: Oh, I'm not afraid of you, I'm not afraid of anything! I'm a grandmother and a female and I've got my rights. You can bull all the others, but you can't bull me! I've fought whiskey and I've fought gambling and I can certainly fight you!


And then there was the classic scene when outlaw Harvey Logan challenged a reluctant Butch Cassidy to a fight to determine who would lead the Hole-in-the-Wall gang:
 
Harvey Logan: Guns or knives?
Butch Cassidy: Neither?
Harvey Logan: Pick!
Butch Cassidy: I don't want to shoot with you, Harvey.
Harvey Logan: [draws a big knife] Anything you say, Butch.
[Butch walks over to Sundance]
Butch Cassidy: [in a low voice] Maybe there's a way to make a profit in this. Bet on Logan.
Sundance Kid: I would, but who'd bet on you?
Harvey Logan: Sundance, when we're done and he's dead, you're welcome to stay.
Butch Cassidy: [low voice, to Sundance] Listen, I don't mean to be a sore loser, but when it's done, if I'm dead, kill him.
Sundance Kid: [low voice to Butch] Love to.
[waves to Harvey and smiles]
Butch Cassidy: No, no, not yet. Not until me and Harvey get the rules straightened out.
Harvey Logan: Rules? In a knife fight? No rules!
[Butch immediately kicks Harvey in the groin]
Butch Cassidy: Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go.
Sundance Kid: [quickly] 1,2,3, go!
[Butch knocks Harvey out]
Flat Nose Curry: I was really rooting for you, Butch.
Butch Cassidy: Well, thank you, Flatnose. That's what sustained me in my time of trouble.


Pick out my all-time movie lines?  That's a great idea.  Also a big task.  Before I choose my favorite all-time movie lines I've got to select my favorite all-time comedy movies.  And that's what I'll do for the next blog.  Be thinking about your favorite funny movie's and classic lines. 

Next up:  my all-time favorite comedy movies.

But right now, I'm going to do something I haven't done in quite awhile around here . . . go watch it rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment