Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Trains and Planes and Automobile Haulers

It was picture day at Dandelions preschool where my four-year-old grandson attends.  I had the honor of accompanying him for his individual and class photo.  Arriving early, I was treated to a tour of his classroom and playground and introduced to his teacher, Miss Brittany.  I also got to attend story time, where I joined Gavin's energetic classmates in a semi-circle on the floor in front of Miss Brittany.

"You can sit on a chair if you prefer" said Miss Brittany.  I could tell she had her doubts I could ever get back up once I was seated on the floor.  No problem there.  I joined the wiggling mass on the floor.

The book of the day was Tough Chicks.  Sounds like a gang book but never fear - it took place in an agricultural setting.  It starred three baby chicks who got in trouble with the farmer for their mischievousness, but redeemed themselves by steering an out-of-control tractor away from the hen house and harmlessly into a mud hole.  Been there, done that.


Pre-class picture Dandelion Students
After the pictures, Gavin and I were free to write our own adventure story for the day.  I'll call it Grandpa and Gavin's Excellent Adventure.  First stop:  Rotary International's Centennial Park on the site of what was once a bridge over the Missouri River - an excellent place for train watchers like my grandson.

 
Centennial Park and Mo River Bridge Remnants


Trainwatchers Paradise
 
Then it was off to the Noren Access on the north side of the Missouri River where a keelboat or two of Lewis & Clark reenactors were due to arrive and camp for a day or two.  Although the camp had been set up and the advance team was waiting, the keelboats were still enroute from Boonville.  Up the ramp to the pedestrian bridge we went for a great view of the Capitol and the drought-diminished Missouri River.
 
After building up an appetite climbing the ramps to the bridge, Gavin and I headed to Nick's Family Restaurant at the airport for lunch and some plane-spotting.  As we dined on fried chicken we watched a few small planes arrive and depart.  Later we walked around the airport parking lot, eyes peeled for aircraft descending.  Not much aerial activity, but we did stumble onto something you don't see every day featuring another form of commercial transportation.  The driver of an 18-wheel car hauler had parked and was preparing to load 8 vehicles onto his trailer.  As we watched from a nearby curb, trailer ramps were adjusted, cars were carefully steered to the four spots aloft and securely fastened, and the top level was ready for transport.  Before loading the lower level the driver sent his assistant over to talk to us.
 
"Would your little boy like to honk the horn on the truck?"  That was a big 10-4.  Up a couple of large steps on the side of the truck to the driver's seat Gavin climbed. 
 
"Pull that lever" the driver instructed.  Gavin followed the instructions and a loud burst of sound from the airhorn followed.  After one more honk for good measure, Gavin and I retreated to the curb and watched the driver load four cars on the lower level before we buckled up and headed out, waving to the driver as we left.
 
"Grandpa" said Gavin.  "Do you know what I want to do when I grow up."
 
"No, what?" I asked.
 
"I want to drive one of those big trucks that hauls cars" he said.
 
No need for his mom and dad to thank me. 
 
Helping grandson's with career choices is just one of the many things grandpa's do.
 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment